Although not all Beef Stew Recipes have gluten, many thickeners, seasonings and additives do. This Gluten Free Beef Stew Recipe is the perfect adaptation of the classic comfort food recipe we all love. It’s easy to make and can even be made even quicker in your Instant Pot!
Prefer a Meatless Stew Recipe? No problem! We’ve got Vegan and other Special Diet Suggestions too!
- 2 Pounds Stew Meat (cubed)
- 1/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 6-8 Potatoes (Russet, White or Red - diced)
- 4-6 Carrots (cut into 1" pieces)
- 2 Celery Stocks (sliced)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped - or one 14.5 oz Can Diced Tomatoes)
- 4 Cups Beef Stock (or Chicken or Vegetable Stock)
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika (or to taste)
- 2 Bay Leaves
Both Crock Pot & Instant Pot Directions are Listed Below:
- Add the Stew Meat into the Crock Pot or Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle the Gluten Free Flour over the Stew Meat & toss with a fork until all pieces are coated evenly.
- Prep Onions, Garlic, Potatoes, Carrots, Celery & Tomatoes & Place everything into the Pot.
- Add in Seasonings to taste.
- Stir in Beef Stock, Wine and Olive Oil.
- CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS: Place Cover on Crock Pot & Cook on High for 4 Hours, then an additional 2 Hours on Low.
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS: Secure Lid on Instant Pot and Press the ‘Meat / Stew’ Setting. If you don’t have a preset on your pressure cooker, then select 40 minutes on High Pressure. Allow the InstantPot to Natural Release once the cook time is up – Which takes another 1/2 hour or so. Otherwise, wait 15 minutes before releasing the pressure.
If the Stew is too thin after cooking, whisk together 1/2 Cup of the hot Stew Broth and 1/4 Cup of additional Gluten Free Flour and stir into to the Stew to thicken. Repeat if necessary.
Vegan Suggestions: Substitute the Meat for 3 Cups Rinsed & Soaked Dried White Beans. Use 1 Teaspoon less Salt (to avoid beans hardening off), and use Vegetable Broth in Place of Beef or Chicken Stock. Cook as normal, making sure Beans are fully cooked before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases - this does not affect the price you pay or service you receive.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 112mg Sodium: 425mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 45g