Although not all Beef Stew Recipes have gluten, many thickeners, seasonings and additives do. This Gluten Free Beef Stew Recipe is the perfect adaptation of the classic comfort food recipe we all love. It’s easy to make and can even be made even quicker in your Instant Pot!
Prefer a Meatless Stew Recipe? No problem! We've got Vegan and other Special Diet Suggestions too!
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 2 Pounds Stew Meat (cubed)
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 8-10 Potatoes (Russet, White or Red - diced)
- 5-7 Carrots (cut into 1" pieces)
- 2-4 Celery Stocks (chopped)
- 3-4 Tomatoes (diced) - or one 28 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Beef Stock (or Chicken or Vegetable Stock)
- ¼ Cup Red Wine (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
Both Instant Pot & Crock Pot Directions are Listed Below:
- INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS: Add the Sauté Ingredients to your Instant Pot and use the 'Sauté' setting to cook until soft. Add in the Stew Meat and stir until lightly brown. Turn off the 'Sauté' feature and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir everything together until well mixed. Secure Lid on Instant Pot and Press the ‘Meat / Stew’ Setting. If you don’t have a stew preset on your pressure cooker, then select 35 minutes on High Pressure. Allow the Instant Pot to Naturally Release once the cook time is up – Which takes approx. 45 minutes. Total prep & cook time is approximately 2 hours from Start to Finish.
- CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS: Add the Sauté Ingredients to a a frying pan and Sauté until soft. Add in the Stew Meat and stir until lightly brown. Remove pan from heat & place sauté ingredients into your crock pot. Add in the remaining ingredients. Stir everything together until well mixed. Place Cover on Crock Pot & Cook on High for 4 Hours, then an additional 2 Hours on Low. Total prep & cook time is approximately 6 hours from Start to Finish.
This recipe was written for a 6-8qt Instant Pot or Crock Pot. You can scale the recipe accordingly based on the size of your appliance.
Thickening the Stew: If the Stew is too thin after cooking, whisk together ½ Cup of the hot Stew Broth and ¼ Cup of additional Gluten Free Flour and stir into to the Stew to thicken. Repeat if necessary.
Vegan Suggestions: Substitute the Meat for 3 Cups Rinsed & Soaked Dried White Beans. Use 1 Teaspoon less Salt (to avoid beans hardening off), and use Vegetable Broth in Place of Beef or Chicken Stock. Cook as normal, making sure Beans are fully cooked before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases - this does not affect the price you pay or service you receive.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 550Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 45g